Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Catch More Zzzz's

Tonight, as I sat in the dungeon of the library at 3 AM, an article caught my attention on the-scientist.com. The article was written by Ruth Williams on November 7th, and it addressed the positive effects of sleep and awake cycles on the body's production of T cells. Well, since I was clearly breaking the 8-hour sleep rule, I thought I would continue reading.
3 AM Study Sessions...productive?
The article goes into scientific detail of how T cells are created, but their primary purpose is to help with the immune system. AKA: The cells help keep students healthy. The surprising finding of scientists is that these T cells are in fact created during the day as well as at night; however, they also found that during long awake cycles (example used: "jet lag"), there is an overproduction of T cells. This over production leads to inflammation of the digestive system.
An Inflamed Digestive System
The article addresses some of the possible side effects of over active T cells as well. The main one is an inflamed digestive system, but more serious complications include "hormonal and metabolic problems." This is why we are told to get sleep to keep us healthy and happy: the T cells affect our immune system.
Not Sleeping Can Lead to "Hormonal and Metabolic Problems" 
I chose this article because it frightens me. It directly relates to college culture and the art of perfecting the "all nighter." The library on campus is open 24 hours a day during the week, and there are always students on every level. In fact, I am typing this, it is 3 AM, and I still have 5-6 neighbors around me. I was never sick in high school, but in college I am perpetually sick, exhausted, and I rarely remember to eat three meals a day (today I managed a snack and dinner). I wish that I could say that this article will change mine and other students' study schedules, but it can not work miracles. As long as there is class, work, and extracurriculars, there will be all nighters and immense amounts of coffee drinking.

May have possibly done this before in the library...NO SHAME

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/38207/title/Time-for-T-cells/





No comments:

Post a Comment