Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I'll Have Another Round of Water Please!

The article I read was entitled, "Drink More Water, Says FLOTUS—But How Much?" It was written by Marc Silver, and it explained the early beginnings of the eight glasses a day motto. Is it myth or fact?
I'm going to need many more of these to fulfill my 67.6 oz of daily water
Marc looked into this common advice given by your mother and doctor, and he found a surprising twist. Apparently, the eight ounces of water each day rule came from scientists in 1933 who stated that in order to replenish the body each day with adequate amounts of water we need to consume 67.6 oz. 
On glass 5, only 3 more to go!
However, Marc debunked this common claim. He spoke with Douglas Casa, an exercise physiologist at the University of Connecticut, who told him that hydration also comes from other beverages humans drink. This includes soda, so go ahead and enjoy your diet coke at lunch!

I can still enjoy my coffee without regret!
Marc did explain that athletes and those who are anticipating working out should drink more water due to greater amounts of sweat and exertion. 

I loved this article because I enjoy working out and trying to stay fit (emphasis on the "trying" part of that sentence!) I try to carry a water bottle with me everywhere, and I get in kicks where I say I am going to follow the eight ounces rule. However, like most fad diets this ends miserably. I end up feeling bloated, puffy, and water logged. The best advice was given in this article: listen to your body and drink water when you are thirsty! 

This article is important to everyone because dehydration can affect a wide range of health issues. Feeling tired, being overweight, being out of shape, exhaustion, sickness, etc. can all be induced by a lack of proper hydration. Everyone should strive to be better hydrated because their overall health will increase as well!
They look happy, healthy, and hydrated!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/09/130913-water-eight-glasses-michelle-obama/?source=mem_lpnews_20130916-water



No comments:

Post a Comment